Watch any old 50′s or 60′s sitcom and you see the husband panic upon hearing the news of his wife’s pregnancy. It’s always sit down, don’t strain yourself and get some rest, but now it has been shown that exercise during pregnancy can keep your muscles in shape and your heart strong. According to the people at Discovery Health, it also helps relieve some of the common discomforts of pregnancy like achy legs and morning sickness.
Members of the Dallas Running Club were asked how they stayed, or are staying in shape while pregnant. Here are some of their tips, but first and foremost, check with your doctor first!-Dallas Morning News
- Redefine your fitness goals while pregnant. Trying to lose weight and pushing yourself too hard are just out of the question.
- Try to begin an exercise program before you become pregnant. Once you are in a routine, your body can recover much better after the birth process.
- Make sure you pay attention to your body’s signals. Your muscles and joints will change position with your growing belly, and this makes you more vulnerable to injury.
- Don’t use your heart rate to track your progress, because it is already higher during pregnancy. Just exercise at a comfortable level for your body. If you can carry on a conversation during the activity, you should be fine.
- Try to concentrate on what you are able to do, not what you could do before pregnancy. Don’t worry, you will get back to normal after the baby comes. Â Just being able to walk a little each day will be great for you and the baby!